Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Leyland1989
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard" (owned by Intelsat), formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • Multiple passes are typically offered ranging from one hour to the entire flight and, on aircraft with the 2Ku system, at different speeds
  • You can pay with a credit card or with Aeroplan points
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge) and mainline FIN 451
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 7M8 (531 thru 540 - about 25% of the 7M8 fleet)
    • 789 (except 860-861)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
      • 8 newest 320s to be upgraded thru 2024
    • 321 (mainline) except FIN 451 per above (remaining fleet to be upgraded thru 2024) and FIN 483 per below
Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • 321 (mainline): 483 (ex-EVA, entering service with EVA's config)
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: Anything not listed above
  • 789: 860, 861
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Future Plans

In September 2023, AC announced plans to install the 2Ku WiFi system on the 7M8s, 321s and the 8 newest 320s "starting in" 2023. The E75s and CR9s will also be upgraded to satellite-based systems "starting in" 2024. No timeline has been provided for completion of these projects, and history suggests it could be years before they're finished.

AC has also shown itself willing to take delivery of new aircraft (whether brand new or second-hand) without WiFi and operate them that way for considerable periods of time. WiFi should eventually be installed on all widebody and mainline narrowbody aircraft, but who knows when this will happen.

Air Canada SE/75K WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year
  • The benefit gives you streaming-quality WiFi on all AC flights globally
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight
Print Wikipost

On-Board WiFi (2023 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

On-Board WiFi (2023 onwards)

Paid for the wifi on Christmas Day between CUN-YVR on the 787-9 and it was pretty bad. Purchased the premium speed one too for like $30 entire flight

I recall a few years back AC gave us free wifi around Christmas time. Not this time I guess
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I had this problem, yesterday. Flew YYC-SFO. The login screen wouldn’t load on my MacBook Pro the entire flight. It only loaded on my iPhone about half way there.

The basic WiFi itself works, because I was able to get to aircanada.com on both devices the entire time. But, the service is useless without being able to log in. Very frustrating!
I selected the free wifi as part of my 75k benefits a while ago and it has been nothing but terrible. I only have apple devices (iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro). They rarely work, and if they do it's a 20-30min struggle. It's the same problem others have mentioned, being able to connect, but never getting passed the "spinning airplane" as the sign in page loads. Sometimes reloading over and over will eventually get you in.

I primarily fly on a route serviced by the mainline A320. Could this be the issue? I flew with a co-worker a few weeks ago, and he uses android. He signed in, no problems with the aeroplan credentials and I couldn't.

It is driving me crazy and it's making me regret selecting it as a benefit. Please advise of any workarounds.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by HappyinLIH
I primarily fly on a route serviced by the mainline A320. Could this be the issue? I flew with a co-worker a few weeks ago, and he uses android. He signed in, no problems with the aeroplan credentials and I couldn't.
I'm also using the wifi option from my E75K select benefits. At least you're on the A320! It's mostly 737 MAX planes in the west. The WiFi on those planes don't take the Air Canada login (as in it's not even an option), making the benefit completely useless on them.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
I had a great chat with the YOW concierge agents today and learned a bit about the WiFi on the 737 MAX.

It turns out, AC does intend to make the WiFi plan benefit (75K+) work on the Thales systems on the 737 MAX. They are working to build a "back-end integration" with Aeroplan to add the "Sign in with Aeroplan" option on these aircraft.

Of course, there is no estimated timeline for this yet, but at least we know it's the intention to support it, and it's not going to always be a separate plan/system.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by HappyinLIH
I selected the free wifi as part of my 75k benefits a while ago and it has been nothing but terrible. I only have apple devices (iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro). They rarely work, and if they do it's a 20-30min struggle. It's the same problem others have mentioned, being able to connect, but never getting passed the "spinning airplane" as the sign in page loads. Sometimes reloading over and over will eventually get you in.

It is driving me crazy and it's making me regret selecting it as a benefit. Please advise of any workarounds.
I can never get logged in via Safari, but works with Chrome on iPhone every time.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by YEGDad
I can never get logged in via Safari, but works with Chrome on iPhone every time.
Thank you YEGDad, this was a great tip! Currently at FL370 posting this, no problems at all.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Lots of interesting information. I didn't know it was different WIFI systems on the airbuses versus boeings -- which does explain why I never ever seem to connect on the 737 Max 8 or Dreamliners compared to Airbuses. I've tried with Safari and Edge, but didn't with Chrome so I'll give that a shot when I'm having issues.

My flight yesterday was on an A321, connected immediately with no issues or drops -- I htink this is the first time in months!
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cerberus
Lots of interesting information. I didn't know it was different WIFI systems on the airbuses versus boeings -- which does explain why I never ever seem to connect on the 737 Max 8 or Dreamliners compared to Airbuses. I've tried with Safari and Edge, but didn't with Chrome so I'll give that a shot when I'm having issues.

My flight yesterday was on an A321, connected immediately with no issues or drops -- I htink this is the first time in months!
Everything is Gogo except the 7M8. It's not an Airbus/Boeing difference.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Activated 1yr wifi select pass Dec 28 2022

​​​​​​Worked on all my flights most recent Jan4
Today on an A220:

Thank you for being an Aeroplan member!
There are no benefits in your account to activate at this time. Coming soon you'll be able to use your Aeroplan points to access Wi-Fi or activate your Aeroplan Elite Status Wi-Fi benefit. Visit aircanada.com/aeroplan to learn more.

Gogo said ask Air Canada

Expecting the worst-- needing to purchase on the remaining 3 flights of this current trip to the middle east.
​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 12, 2023 at 3:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I flew in Jan 9 onboard an A32x (321 I think). My wifi was activated late November. Still worked on the 9th... Unfortunately today I flew a Max so I wasn't able to test it.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm currently on an Unidentified Airline, and I was able to buy wifi during boarding, and start using it immediately. This meant I had no loss of connectivity during taxi/takeoff, which was a really nice experience.

I'd like to see AC implement this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:23 pm

I also had issues loading wifionboard.com page through safari. But it works well when I switch to DuckDuckGo.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm currently on an Unidentified Airline, and I was able to buy wifi during boarding, and start using it immediately. This meant I had no loss of connectivity during taxi/takeoff, which was a really nice experience.

I’m even more jealous of the airline that offers live TV onboard. Especially during the World Cup final.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 31, 2023 at 7:57 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by IronJuice
I also had issues loading wifionboard.com page through safari. But it works well when I switch to DuckDuckGo.
I've noticed on my flights this week that if you go to aircanadawifi.com, the wrong certificate is served which Safari then rejects. Going directly to wifi.inflightinternet.com seems to work, though.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Updated wiki to reflect that:

* Some rouge flights now allow the Aeroplan benefit. Well at least FIN 476 did on a run from GCF/YYZ today. Would be good to know if others have routinely seen this so we can mark it as fleet solved
* Rouge now offers a one time free wifi coupon code for J-Pax in leiu of the iPads which are no longer being distributed they tell me
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I think I was able to do just this on a 788 last week; they did mention at the same time as the live TV announcement that they were going to implement it, didn't they? I have a couple of 788 segments tomorrow, will try to remember to check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.